No, we’re not talking about anything significant in sports that is historical. It’s the damn foot and a half of snow we’re getting in MID-APRIL!!!! I initially started writing this Saturday, and I did a measure in my yard – 21.4″ of this crap….to go with the 23.7″ at the Green Bay National Weather Service. If you turned on the news stations in Green Bay, that’s all you hear them talking about. Yes, we know it’s the #2 largest spring snowstorm in history and believe me, we’re really sick of hearing it!! As for Mother Nature, she and I are fighting, and she better make it up with a fantastic summer which will now probably start in late August!!
There have been some things that have occurred in sports that I will touch on briefly.
Here are my early impressions of the Milwaukee Brewers this year:
- This team will be really fun to watch
- This team will also be rather frustrating to watch at times
- Jonathan Villar is off to a strong start which is good for him and to help fill in the gap at second base.
- Mr. April Eric Thames is at it again hitting several home runs early. This guy needs to show he can adjust to the pitchers once they adjust to him. If he makes those adjustments, watch out.
- Jhoulys Chacin has been hit rather hard in his starts so far
- So has Zach Davies, for that matter.
- Chase Anderson is solidifying his spot as the ace so far. He has been strong aside of a couple innings against St. Louis
- Josh Hader – holy crap is his stuff just nasty. He currently ranks third in the National League with 22 strikeouts! That’s nuts for a stat that is usually tied to the starters
- Lorenzo Cain and Christian Yelich are going to turn out to be great deals for the Brewers
- Can anyone take Ryan Brauns’ contract, please?
The Brewers get the lowly Cincinnati Reds and Miami Marlins this week for a 7-game homestand. They need to go 5-2 at least this week.
Speaking of the Miami Marlins….how does that feel when a Minor League affiliate Jacksonville outdraws your Major League team? Story
I’m telling you – South Florida fan, you need to listen to me here. Make nice with that annoying Marlins Man so you can have some people say they took a picture with a 60-year-old adolescent. Then, to attract even the casual fan – offer free booze and unlimited weed with a $10 ticket. It is with 100% certainty your stands will fill up and you then won’t be the laughing stock of professional sports.
- The NBA and NHL have begun their playoffs. Yes, again – winter sports that have their playoffs drag on way too long. I have written this in the past, but I struggle with winter sports going into June.
I do firmly believe the NHL playoffs is some of the best in all sports, but I don’t think enough people understand the sport aside to appreciate it. I like it, and I don’t know half the rules. From what I see, you get the hitting of football, hand-eye coordination of baseball, footwork of all sports all rolled into one sport…on ice. And you get some crazed maniac trying to block a hard rubber puck that could come at you around 100 mph. I’d need an obscene amount of alcohol to try and stop something at that speed!!
In my limited knowledge of the NHL – my prediction will be the Nashville Predators beating the Tampa Bay Lightning in the Stanley Cup Finals
- The NBA….goody. Now these teams will actually begin trying to play defense. The Milwaukee Bucks take on the injury-plagued Boston Celtics in the opening round of the Eastern Conference playoffs. If there was ever an opportunity for the Bucks to break through to the next round, this is it. They have the best player on the court in Giannis, are healthy with Malcolm Brogdon back. But, they just don’t have enough of an inside presence to win.
For Milwaukee, if Boston slows them down at all, they will run into problems with how they don’t take care of the basketball. The Bucks need to make it something of a track meet and it has a good chance at the upset. The Milwaukee-Boston series will go 6-7 games and then I’d guess they will face a white-hot Philadelphia 76ers team.
The rest of the NBA? Meh – it’s usually a couple teams and everybody else which makes it even harder to watch. Professional basketball is the only major sport that we already know who’s probably going to be there at the end. This year? It’s Houston, Golden State and maybe Toronto or Philadelphia, maybe Cleveland. Translation – if you don’t follow the NBA, it won’t pay until the Conference Finals.
- The 2018 NFL Schedule comes out this week and from what I have heard, the Packers will be opening at home to kick off their 100-year anniversary celebration. The guess here is it will be against Chicago or San Francisco. It will be interesting to see what road trip we select this year from some great options, including New England, New York, Seattle, Washington and Los Angeles.
- I’d say I would love to give an NFL Draft preview, and truthfully, I’d be guessing just like so many others that are doing mock drafts. If I had to guess though, I’d say the top priorities for the Green Bay Packers are cornerback, anyone who can rush the passer, guard and wide receiver. This is also the first draft without former GM Ted Thompson at the helm, so with Brian Gutekunst here it will be interesting in his style of drafting. Does he trade up more? Does he use picks to acquire players?
- Replay in high school football? Really, Alabama? Is this where former NFL referee Ed Hochuli ending up?? I know the south is more than insane when it comes to football, but this is ridiculous!! story
- Dumb ass(es) of the week:
Cincinnati Bengals LB Vontaze Burfict (again) – for getting suspended 4 games for performance enhancing drugs. Just what this hot-headed clown needs… I don’t understand how a drugged up dirty player gets chance after chance to play in the league, but someone who takes a knee during the National Anthem can’t get a job. Now, don’t mix that up with me agreeing with taking a knee (I don’t) – but that’s a different argument for what this is about. It’s about some dirty asshat that is constantly getting into trouble with PEDs or just flat out dirty hits when he does play.
San Francisco 49ers LB Reuben Foster (for now) – for numerous charges of domestic violence that could net him up to 11 years in prison! The 49ers this idiot, along with morons like Greg Hardy, Aldon Smith, Joe Mixon. These guys should never see the light of day on an NFL field again. Ray Rice did something similar and he ended up out of football!!
They’re such tough guys for hitting women and more than arrogant enough to think they’re invincible in getting away with it. You know, there is a place in sports for these guys and it’s called the California Penal League…
I’ll be back in a couple of weeks. We’ll still probably have snow on the ground at that point. Good Day Wisconsin!!